What is involved in Network monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Network monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Network monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Network monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Network monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Network monitoring related domains to cover and 122 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Network monitoring, Business service management, Check MK, Comparison of network monitoring systems, Computer and network surveillance, Computer network, Computer networks, Domain name system, End-to-end delay, File Transfer Protocol, High availability, HyperText Transfer Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol, Internet Message Access Protocol, Intrusion detection system, Network Monitoring Interface Card, Network administrator, Network management, Network tap, Network tomography, Network traffic measurement, Post Office Protocol, Response time, Round-trip delay time, Route analytics, Secure Shell, Secure Sockets Layer, Session Initiation Protocol, Short Message Service, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, System monitor, Transmission Control Protocol, User Datagram Protocol, Viavi Solutions, Vigilo NMS, Web server, Website monitoring:
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
Depict Network monitoring goals and ask questions.
– Does Network monitoring include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How can skill-level changes improve Network monitoring?
– Is Network monitoring Required?
Business service management Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Business service management visions and look at it backwards.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Network monitoring. How do we gain traction?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Network monitoring project manager?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Network monitoring project?
Check MK Critical Criteria:
Chat re Check MK quality and differentiate in coordinating Check MK.
– Have you identified your Network monitoring key performance indicators?
– Are there Network monitoring Models?
Comparison of network monitoring systems Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Comparison of network monitoring systems outcomes and overcome Comparison of network monitoring systems skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Network monitoring into the services that we provide?
– Will Network monitoring deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How will you measure your Network monitoring effectiveness?
Computer and network surveillance Critical Criteria:
Boost Computer and network surveillance tactics and sort Computer and network surveillance activities.
– Will Network monitoring have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What is our Network monitoring Strategy?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Discourse Computer network issues and differentiate in coordinating Computer network.
– Does Network monitoring analysis show the relationships among important Network monitoring factors?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What are all of our Network monitoring domains and what do they do?
Computer networks Critical Criteria:
Consider Computer networks tactics and remodel and develop an effective Computer networks strategy.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Network monitoring strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do we go about Securing Network monitoring?
– Do we have past Network monitoring Successes?
Domain name system Critical Criteria:
Gauge Domain name system risks and do something to it.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Network monitoring project?
– How do we know that any Network monitoring analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Have all basic functions of Network monitoring been defined?
End-to-end delay Critical Criteria:
Talk about End-to-end delay visions and shift your focus.
– Consider your own Network monitoring project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– In what ways are Network monitoring vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
File Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Check File Transfer Protocol management and catalog File Transfer Protocol activities.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Network monitoring moving forward?
– Think of your Network monitoring project. what are the main functions?
– Do we all define Network monitoring in the same way?
High availability Critical Criteria:
Grasp High availability leadership and look in other fields.
– What are some of our practices for having application consistent snapshots across multiple persistent storage systems for disaster recovery and or high availability purposes?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Network monitoring, including any consulting or professional services?
– Should the deployment occur in high availability mode or should we configure in bypass mode?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Is the application designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– What are specific Network monitoring Rules to follow?
HyperText Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Review HyperText Transfer Protocol outcomes and forecast involvement of future HyperText Transfer Protocol projects in development.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Network monitoring services/products?
– To what extent does management recognize Network monitoring as a tool to increase the results?
– How is the value delivered by Network monitoring being measured?
Internet Control Message Protocol Critical Criteria:
Test Internet Control Message Protocol tasks and create Internet Control Message Protocol explanations for all managers.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Network monitoring?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Network monitoring leader?
– How will you know that the Network monitoring project has been successful?
Internet Message Access Protocol Critical Criteria:
Review Internet Message Access Protocol risks and look at the big picture.
– what is the best design framework for Network monitoring organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Think about the functions involved in your Network monitoring project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the business goals Network monitoring is aiming to achieve?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Intrusion detection system results and define what our big hairy audacious Intrusion detection system goal is.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Does Network monitoring create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– What business benefits will Network monitoring goals deliver if achieved?
Network Monitoring Interface Card Critical Criteria:
Examine Network Monitoring Interface Card decisions and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Network Monitoring Interface Card projects.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Network monitoring been identified and analyzed?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Network monitoring?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Coach on Network administrator goals and achieve a single Network administrator view and bringing data together.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– What is the purpose of Network monitoring in relation to the mission?
– How do we go about Comparing Network monitoring approaches/solutions?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Confer re Network management tasks and intervene in Network management processes and leadership.
– Is there a Network monitoring Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the barriers to increased Network monitoring production?
– Who sets the Network monitoring standards?
Network tap Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Network tap engagements and know what your objective is.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Network monitoring that make it risky?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Network monitoring leaders?
Network tomography Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Network tomography goals and probe the present value of growth of Network tomography.
– What are the key elements of your Network monitoring performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are current Network monitoring Paradigms?
– How to deal with Network monitoring Changes?
Network traffic measurement Critical Criteria:
Coach on Network traffic measurement goals and change contexts.
– What are the long-term Network monitoring goals?
– Who needs to know about Network monitoring ?
Post Office Protocol Critical Criteria:
Debate over Post Office Protocol issues and ask questions.
– What are the disruptive Network monitoring technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Network monitoring objectives?
Response time Critical Criteria:
Refer to Response time strategies and spearhead techniques for implementing Response time.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Does one expect an improvement in availability or response times that will result in increased user satisfaction?
– How do we measure improved Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
– What threat is Network monitoring addressing?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Administer Round-trip delay time projects and explore and align the progress in Round-trip delay time.
Route analytics Critical Criteria:
Depict Route analytics tactics and raise human resource and employment practices for Route analytics.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Network monitoring processes?
– How important is Network monitoring to the user organizations mission?
– What about Network monitoring Analysis of results?
Secure Shell Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Secure Shell risks and get the big picture.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Network monitoring project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Network monitoring project lifecycle?
– Does our organization need more Network monitoring education?
– What will drive Network monitoring change?
Secure Sockets Layer Critical Criteria:
Nurse Secure Sockets Layer strategies and get out your magnifying glass.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Network monitoring process?
– Is maximizing Network monitoring protection the same as minimizing Network monitoring loss?
Session Initiation Protocol Critical Criteria:
Generalize Session Initiation Protocol engagements and probe Session Initiation Protocol strategic alliances.
– How do we Identify specific Network monitoring investment and emerging trends?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Short Message Service decisions and find out.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Network monitoring? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What is Effective Network monitoring?
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Sort Simple Mail Transfer Protocol failures and track iterative Simple Mail Transfer Protocol results.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Network monitoring with what users do day-to-day?
– Why should we adopt a Network monitoring framework?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Adapt Simple Network Management Protocol adoptions and oversee Simple Network Management Protocol management by competencies.
– Do the Network monitoring decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
System monitor Critical Criteria:
Inquire about System monitor failures and adjust implementation of System monitor.
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Check Transmission Control Protocol decisions and probe the present value of growth of Transmission Control Protocol.
– Which customers cant participate in our Network monitoring domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Network monitoring effort?
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
See the value of User Datagram Protocol failures and change contexts.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Network monitoring move?
– Who will provide the final approval of Network monitoring deliverables?
Viavi Solutions Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Viavi Solutions adoptions and look for lots of ideas.
Vigilo NMS Critical Criteria:
Map Vigilo NMS outcomes and catalog Vigilo NMS activities.
– For your Network monitoring project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What vendors make products that address the Network monitoring needs?
– What are the usability implications of Network monitoring actions?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Web server engagements and look at it backwards.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– How can you negotiate Network monitoring successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Are we Assessing Network monitoring and Risk?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Website monitoring planning and look at the big picture.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Network monitoring product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What is the source of the strategies for Network monitoring strengthening and reform?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Network monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Network monitoring External links:
Network monitoring software – PRTG | Paessler
AKIPS – Network Monitoring Software
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Business service management External links:
Login – HP Business Service Management
Business Service Management (BSM)
Comparison of network monitoring systems External links:
Comparison of network monitoring systems | Speedy …
Comparison of network monitoring systems |THWACK
Computer and network surveillance External links:
Computer and network surveillance!! – YouTube
Computer and network surveillance images, pictures, …
Computer and network surveillance – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Computer and network surveillance
Computer network External links:
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
Computer networks External links:
Home Computer Networks | Home Automation – Home …
Domain name system External links:
Dnscmd Syntax: Domain Name System(DNS)
Domain Name System | NTIA
[PDF]Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Deployment Guide
End-to-end delay External links:
[PDF]Cross-layer Analysis of the End-to-end Delay …
[1703.01641] Dependable End-to-End Delay Constraints …
File Transfer Protocol External links:
What is File Transfer Protocol (FTP)? – ctdol.state.ct.us
DET File Transfer Protocol
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Definition | Investopedia
High availability External links:
FlashGrid | Database High Availability Simplified
High Availability Replication Software | EVault & DoubleTake
HyperText Transfer Protocol External links:
CiteSeerX — Hypertext Transfer Protocol — HTTP/1.1
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Overview
[PDF]Hypertext Transfer Protocol – Washington University …
Internet Control Message Protocol External links:
[PDF]Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Parameters
Internet Control Message Protocol – technet.microsoft.com
Internet Message Access Protocol External links:
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) – Tech-FAQ
Internet Message Access Protocol, v.4 (IMAP4)
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Capabilities Registry
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Network Monitoring Interface Card External links:
Network Monitoring Interface Card. http:// …
Network administrator External links:
Network Administrator Job Description Examples | Indeed.com
What is a Network Administrator vs. a System Administrator?
Become a Network Administrator – Learning Path – Lynda.com
Network management External links:
Enterprise Software for IT, Server & Network Management …
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
ASUS Router App – Easy Network Management in Hand
Network tap External links:
Network Tap, Regenerator Taps, and Tap Aggregators | Ixia
Network Tap & More | Dualcomm
Network Tap | eBay
Network tomography External links:
[PDF]Shifting Network Tomography Toward A Practical Goal
[PDF]Statistical Science Network Tomography: Recent …
Patent US6839754 – Network tomography using closely …
Network traffic measurement External links:
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Post Office Protocol External links:
Post Office Protocol
http://In computing, the Post Office Protocol (POP) is an application-layer Internet standard protocol used by local e-mail clients to retrieve e-mail from a remote server over a TCP/IP connection. POP has been developed through several versions, with version 3 (POP3) being the current standard.
What is POP (Post Office Protocol)? – Computer Hope
What Is Post Office Protocol? POP and POP3 Definition
Response time External links:
EMS Response Time | fems
Average Wedding RSVP response time: The data is in
Round-trip delay time External links:
Round-trip delay time – YouTube
RTD | Round-Trip Delay Time | Glossary
Secure Shell External links:
What is Secure Shell (SSH)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
[PPT]Secure Shell – SSH
Secure Sockets Layer External links:
What Is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)? | DigiCert.com
[PPT]Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) – Baylor ECS
Description of the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Handshake
Session Initiation Protocol External links:
SIP Trunking | Session Initiation Protocol | ShoreTel
Session Initiation Protocol | Android Developers
Short Message Service External links:
What is SMSC – Short Message Service Center? Webopedia
SMS by Twilio – Global Short Message Service API – Free …
Short Message Service – …
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol External links:
The Remote Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Service …
What is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)?
Some Facts About SMTP – Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
What Is SNMP?: Simple Network Management Protocol …
System monitor External links:
AMD System Monitor
NVIDIA System Monitor|NVIDIA
Free 2-day shipping on qualified orders over $35. Buy Equus Innova 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor at Walmart.com
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
TCP/IP Transport Layer, Transmission Control Protocol…
User Datagram Protocol External links:
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – Techopedia.com
UDP (User Datagram Protocol) Definition – Lifewire
Transport Layer: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – YouTube
Viavi Solutions External links:
Viavi Solutions Inc. – VIAV – Stock Price Today – Zacks
VIAVI Solutions – Home | Facebook
Viavi Solutions Inc. (VIAV) Pre-Market Trading – NASDAQ.com
Vigilo NMS External links:
VIGILO NMS | Performance Monitoring
Web server External links:
ProjectWise Web Server
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Cesanta | Embedded web server
Website monitoring External links:
Site24x7 – Website Monitoring, Website Monitoring …
Uptrends – Website Monitoring and Web Performance …