What is involved in Information technology operations
Find out what the related areas are that Information technology operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Information technology operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Information technology operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Information technology operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Information technology operations related domains to cover and 154 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Information technology operations, Configuration management database, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Database administrator, Event monitoring, Help desk, IT asset management, IT governance, IT infrastructure, IT service management, Information technology, Infrastructure as Code, Issue tracking system, Maintenance, repair and operations, Network administrator, Network switch, On call shift, Operations management, Software build, Software deployment, Software development process, Software release life cycle, Software testing, System administrator, Technical support, Test automation:
Information technology operations Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Information technology operations engagements and adjust implementation of Information technology operations.
– In what ways are Information technology operations vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Information technology operations processes?
– What are the usability implications of Information technology operations actions?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Configuration management database leadership and drive action.
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– What is the main difference between a cmdb (Configuration Management database) and a typical asset register?
– Which processes other than incident management are involved in achieving a structural solution ?
– What would you like the cmdb to do for you -how would they like it to change your life?
– Are all requested changes to the configuration items assessed, processed and tracked?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– How is access to the Configuration Management status data controlled?
– A network segment is a superset of a larger network. true or false?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and itil processes?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– What types of status accounting reports are to be generated?
– Why implement a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Interdisciplinary review of proposed change complete?
– Which of the entities should be configuration items?
– How is mobile wimax different from fixed wimax?
– Why is sacm so hard to implement and organize?
– Are all other required reviews complete?
– What is the last mile connectioin?
– How to make it easier to sell?
– What work is involved?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Continuous delivery leadership and oversee Continuous delivery management by competencies.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Information technology operations forward?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Information technology operations opportunities costing us money?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– Who sets the Information technology operations standards?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Sort Continuous integration projects and devise Continuous integration key steps.
– Can we add value to the current Information technology operations decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What will drive Information technology operations change?
– Is a Information technology operations Team Work effort in place?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Database administrator goals and proactively manage Database administrator risks.
– Do those selected for the Information technology operations team have a good general understanding of what Information technology operations is all about?
– Why is Information technology operations important for you now?
– How to deal with Information technology operations Changes?
Event monitoring Critical Criteria:
Infer Event monitoring outcomes and create Event monitoring explanations for all managers.
– Does Information technology operations include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Consider your own Information technology operations project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How will you know that the Information technology operations project has been successful?
– Do you have log/event monitoring solutions in place today?
Help desk Critical Criteria:
Chat re Help desk issues and change contexts.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– Is maximizing Information technology operations protection the same as minimizing Information technology operations loss?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Information technology operations effort?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Own IT asset management issues and observe effective IT asset management.
– Deciding what level of hardware in the system is a decision process such as: is the cost or risk of loss with a usb cable, a tablet or a mouse sufficient to require tracking? Have we decided on the detail level?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What are our key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Are you managing the business side of asset management to maximize the assets you own?
– What are the key differences for us between asset management and Service Management?
– Use of non-corporate assets on the network -byod devices and software allowed?
– Can you identify all your it hardware and software locations?
– If someone installs software, how do we keep track of it?
– What assets benefit from the discipline of itam?
– Are we prepared to respond to a software audit?
– What would it cost to replace our technology?
– Who can authorize and approve changes?
– What are significant events about it?
– How should a value be assigned to it?
– Why investigate other systems?
– What is it asset management ?
– How do we manage changes?
– Who can initiate changes?
– What is an itam program?
– What is an it asset?
IT governance Critical Criteria:
Infer IT governance leadership and finalize the present value of growth of IT governance.
– Policy compliance is closely related to IT governance. Compliance has much to do with defining, controlling and governing security efforts. How should an organization respond to security events?
– What is the source of the strategies for Information technology operations strengthening and reform?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– Are we Assessing Information technology operations and Risk?
– How do we keep improving Information technology operations?
IT infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Survey IT infrastructure engagements and figure out ways to motivate other IT infrastructure users.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– How likely is the current Information technology operations plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How do we manage Information technology operations Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Accumulate IT service management engagements and handle a jump-start course to IT service management.
– Can cloud service providers offer the flexibility to provide availability service levels in line with the customers requirements?
– What other departments, besides IT, use service catalog as a means of publishing their services in your organization?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices?
– Does current usage support ongoing contract negotiations for maintenance and upgrade renewals?
– Is Service Delivery (hardware/software/people) capable of supporting requirements?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– What should customers be looking for and expect from a good cloud service provider?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Why is IT service management important to cloud providers?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– How many purchased licenses are in actual use?
– Which software markets will SaaS disrupt?
– What is the scope of certification?
– Quality of Service Met?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Information technology leadership and correct better engagement with Information technology results.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Information technology operations. How do we gain traction?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Information technology operations?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Does Information technology operations appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Infrastructure as Code strategies and research ways can we become the Infrastructure as Code company that would put us out of business.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Information technology operations?
– How much does Information technology operations help?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Issue tracking system leadership and tour deciding if Issue tracking system progress is made.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Information technology operations into the services that we provide?
Maintenance, repair and operations Critical Criteria:
Analyze Maintenance, repair and operations results and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Maintenance, repair and operations projects.
– Which Information technology operations goals are the most important?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Consult on Network administrator risks and oversee Network administrator requirements.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Information technology operations? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Are assumptions made in Information technology operations stated explicitly?
– How can we improve Information technology operations?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Network switch decisions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Network switch.
– How do we Identify specific Information technology operations investment and emerging trends?
– How can the value of Information technology operations be defined?
– What about Information technology operations Analysis of results?
On call shift Critical Criteria:
Look at On call shift engagements and secure On call shift creativity.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Information technology operations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do Information technology operations rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are there Information technology operations Models?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Study Operations management leadership and describe which business rules are needed as Operations management interface.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Information technology operations is underway?
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– What are specific Information technology operations Rules to follow?
– How do we maintain Information technology operationss Integrity?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
Software build Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Software build adoptions and report on developing an effective Software build strategy.
– Are accountability and ownership for Information technology operations clearly defined?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Software deployment visions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Software deployment services.
– What are the disruptive Information technology operations technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Among the Information technology operations product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Software development process visions and explain and analyze the challenges of Software development process.
– what is the best design framework for Information technology operations organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Think about the functions involved in your Information technology operations project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What are the barriers to increased Information technology operations production?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software release life cycle results and learn.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Information technology operations strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Have all basic functions of Information technology operations been defined?
– How do we Lead with Information technology operations in Mind?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Investigate Software testing goals and improve Software testing service perception.
– Is Information technology operations dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Information technology operations Management?
System administrator Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for System administrator issues and question.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– Who is the System Administrator?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Technical support tasks and attract Technical support skills.
– Will Information technology operations have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
Test automation Critical Criteria:
Refer to Test automation adoptions and finalize specific methods for Test automation acceptance.
– Is the Information technology operations organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Does Information technology operations analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are current Information technology operations Paradigms?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Information technology operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Configuration management database External links:
Continuous delivery External links:
GoCD – Open Source Continuous Delivery and Automation …
Continuous Delivery For Java Apps [e-book]
Harness | Continuous Delivery Simplified — CI/CD for …
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous Integration – CI | CircleCI
Continuous integration in .NET (eBook, 2011) …
Database administrator External links:
Database Administrator Job Titles – Synclist
[PDF]Title: Database Administrator Reports To: Director …
Database Administrator – Rice University
Event monitoring External links:
Wireless Cardiac Monitoring System | Event Monitoring
Historical Radiological Event Monitoring | RadNet | US EPA
Help desk External links:
IT asset management External links:
IT Asset Management (ITAM) – Gartner IT Glossary
Electronics Recycling & IT Asset Management | METech Recycling
IT Asset Management – Oomnitza
IT governance External links:
IT Governance – VITA
[PDF]Project Academy Sponsor Checklist IT Governance
IT Governance | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
IT infrastructure External links:
Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations Management & …
IT service management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Remedyforce- IT Service Management and Help Desk – …
Information technology External links:
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Issue tracking system External links:
issue tracking system – Wiktionary
System Dashboard – Issue Tracking System
Transoft – Issue Tracking System
Maintenance, repair and operations External links:
[PDF]THE MAINTENANCE, REPAIR AND OPERATIONS …
Maintenance, Repair and Operations | Weiler
Network administrator External links:
Network Administrator Job Description Examples | Indeed.com
Become a Network Administrator – Learning Path – Lynda.com
Network Administrator, IT Salary – PayScale
Network switch External links:
Amazon.com: NETGEAR GS105NA 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Lifetime Next Business Day Replacement | Sturdy Metal | Desktop | Plug-and-Play | …
Operations management External links:
Operations Management Software | Dude Solutions
Software deployment External links:
Sophos Central: Software deployment methods – Sophos Community
Ultimate Software Deployment Checklist & Deployment …
Windows System Administration, Software Deployment, …
Software development process External links:
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software release life cycle External links:
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
Software Testing & QA Services Company – Testlio
Software Testing Certification Information – ASTQB …
System administrator External links:
CSC System Administrator Overtime Lawsuit
System Administrator Role – technet.microsoft.com
System Administrator Job Description | Americas Job …
Technical support External links:
ASISTS | Adult Student Information System & Technical Support
Symantec Enterprise Technical Support
DFEH Technical Support
Test automation External links:
Home – Test Automation for Salesforce | Provar
Learn Test Automation with Boozang | Udemy
LEAPTEST Codeless Test Automation