What is involved in Network monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Network monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Network monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Network monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Network monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Network monitoring related domains to cover and 107 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Network monitoring, Business service management, Check MK, Comparison of network monitoring systems, Computer and network surveillance, Computer network, Computer networks, Domain name system, End-to-end delay, File Transfer Protocol, High availability, HyperText Transfer Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol, Internet Message Access Protocol, Intrusion detection system, Network Monitoring Interface Card, Network administrator, Network management, Network tap, Network tomography, Network traffic measurement, Post Office Protocol, Response time, Round-trip delay time, Route analytics, Secure Shell, Secure Sockets Layer, Session Initiation Protocol, Short Message Service, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, System monitor, Transmission Control Protocol, User Datagram Protocol, Viavi Solutions, Vigilo NMS, Web server, Website monitoring:
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
X-ray Network monitoring outcomes and research ways can we become the Network monitoring company that would put us out of business.
– Will Network monitoring have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Network monitoring agendas for the next 3 years?
Business service management Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Business service management decisions and look at it backwards.
– In the case of a Network monitoring project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Network monitoring project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Network monitoring project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Network monitoring into the services that we provide?
– Who needs to know about Network monitoring ?
Check MK Critical Criteria:
X-ray Check MK quality and define what do we need to start doing with Check MK.
– What are our needs in relation to Network monitoring skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What will drive Network monitoring change?
– What are our Network monitoring Processes?
Comparison of network monitoring systems Critical Criteria:
Model after Comparison of network monitoring systems projects and test out new things.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Network monitoring delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are the short and long-term Network monitoring goals?
– Are there Network monitoring problems defined?
Computer and network surveillance Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Computer and network surveillance risks and correct better engagement with Computer and network surveillance results.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Network monitoring leader?
– What is the purpose of Network monitoring in relation to the mission?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Devise Computer network strategies and explain and analyze the challenges of Computer network.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Network monitoring? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What are all of our Network monitoring domains and what do they do?
– How to deal with Network monitoring Changes?
Computer networks Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Computer networks strategies and optimize Computer networks leadership as a key to advancement.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Network monitoring is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– In what ways are Network monitoring vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Domain name system Critical Criteria:
Learn from Domain name system engagements and reduce Domain name system costs.
– Do we monitor the Network monitoring decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Why should we adopt a Network monitoring framework?
End-to-end delay Critical Criteria:
Adapt End-to-end delay engagements and ask what if.
– Does Network monitoring systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Network monitoring processes?
– How can skill-level changes improve Network monitoring?
File Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Use past File Transfer Protocol decisions and find out what it really means.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Network monitoring experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How important is Network monitoring to the user organizations mission?
– How can you measure Network monitoring in a systematic way?
High availability Critical Criteria:
Incorporate High availability adoptions and secure High availability creativity.
– What are some of our practices for having application consistent snapshots across multiple persistent storage systems for disaster recovery and or high availability purposes?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Network monitoring products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Should the deployment occur in high availability mode or should we configure in bypass mode?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Is the application designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– How do we Identify specific Network monitoring investment and emerging trends?
– What about Network monitoring Analysis of results?
HyperText Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Model after HyperText Transfer Protocol engagements and maintain HyperText Transfer Protocol for success.
– How do we go about Comparing Network monitoring approaches/solutions?
Internet Control Message Protocol Critical Criteria:
Confer re Internet Control Message Protocol issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Internet Control Message Protocol information.
Internet Message Access Protocol Critical Criteria:
Refer to Internet Message Access Protocol tasks and finalize the present value of growth of Internet Message Access Protocol.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Network monitoring?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Network monitoring with what users do day-to-day?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Intrusion detection system leadership and reduce Intrusion detection system costs.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Network monitoring processes?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Network monitoring process?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Network Monitoring Interface Card Critical Criteria:
Detail Network Monitoring Interface Card management and report on the economics of relationships managing Network Monitoring Interface Card and constraints.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Network monitoring ?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Network monitoring activities?
– How will you measure your Network monitoring effectiveness?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Network administrator engagements and remodel and develop an effective Network administrator strategy.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Network management outcomes and triple focus on important concepts of Network management relationship management.
Network tap Critical Criteria:
Chart Network tap risks and revise understanding of Network tap architectures.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Network monitoring strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Have you identified your Network monitoring key performance indicators?
– Does the Network monitoring task fit the clients priorities?
Network tomography Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Network tomography planning and achieve a single Network tomography view and bringing data together.
– Do Network monitoring rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are accountability and ownership for Network monitoring clearly defined?
Network traffic measurement Critical Criteria:
Think about Network traffic measurement quality and test out new things.
– What business benefits will Network monitoring goals deliver if achieved?
– Is the scope of Network monitoring defined?
Post Office Protocol Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Post Office Protocol adoptions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Network monitoring models, tools and techniques are necessary?
Response time Critical Criteria:
Investigate Response time goals and finalize specific methods for Response time acceptance.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Does one expect an improvement in availability or response times that will result in increased user satisfaction?
– Think about the functions involved in your Network monitoring project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How do we Improve Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Round-trip delay time quality and attract Round-trip delay time skills.
– Do the Network monitoring decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How can we improve Network monitoring?
Route analytics Critical Criteria:
Think about Route analytics decisions and describe the risks of Route analytics sustainability.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Network monitoring process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Network monitoring process available?
Secure Shell Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Secure Shell tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Secure Shell.
– What is our Network monitoring Strategy?
Secure Sockets Layer Critical Criteria:
See the value of Secure Sockets Layer outcomes and optimize Secure Sockets Layer leadership as a key to advancement.
– Does Network monitoring create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Are assumptions made in Network monitoring stated explicitly?
Session Initiation Protocol Critical Criteria:
Explore Session Initiation Protocol strategies and develop and take control of the Session Initiation Protocol initiative.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Network monitoring values?
– Is there a Network monitoring Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Rank Short Message Service tactics and look at it backwards.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Network monitoring project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Audit Simple Mail Transfer Protocol issues and probe Simple Mail Transfer Protocol strategic alliances.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Network monitoring project?
– Will Network monitoring deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Simple Network Management Protocol leadership and gather Simple Network Management Protocol models .
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Network monitoring?
– How will you know that the Network monitoring project has been successful?
System monitor Critical Criteria:
Pilot System monitor results and assess what counts with System monitor that we are not counting.
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Review Transmission Control Protocol outcomes and transcribe Transmission Control Protocol as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How would one define Network monitoring leadership?
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
Gauge User Datagram Protocol planning and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive User Datagram Protocol projects.
– Think about the people you identified for your Network monitoring project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Consider your own Network monitoring project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Viavi Solutions Critical Criteria:
Detail Viavi Solutions failures and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Viavi Solutions projects.
– Can we add value to the current Network monitoring decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do we Lead with Network monitoring in Mind?
Vigilo NMS Critical Criteria:
Probe Vigilo NMS risks and define what do we need to start doing with Vigilo NMS.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Network monitoring study?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Look at Web server visions and differentiate in coordinating Web server.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– What is Effective Network monitoring?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Study Website monitoring goals and achieve a single Website monitoring view and bringing data together.
– How do we know that any Network monitoring analysis is complete and comprehensive?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Network monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Network monitoring External links:
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Network monitoring software – PRTG | Paessler
Best Network Monitoring Tools – 2018 Reviews & Pricing
Business service management External links:
Business Service Management(BSM) Solutions – Wipro
HP Business Service Management (BSM) Overview – …
Login – HP Business Service Management
Check MK External links:
Check MK – Official Site
Comparison of network monitoring systems External links:
Comparison of network monitoring systems |THWACK
[PDF]Comparison of network monitoring systems Support of …
Comparison of network monitoring systems | Speedy …
Computer and network surveillance External links:
Computer and network surveillance!! – YouTube
Computer and Network Surveillance: Packets – YouTube
Computer and network surveillance – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Computer and network surveillance
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? – Definition from Techopedia
Computer networks External links:
Topology Diagrams for Computer Networks – Lifewire
CICNet – The User’s Directory of Computer Networks
Domain name system External links:
What Is DNS?: Domain Name System(DNS)
What is DNS – Domain Name System for Computer Networks
What Is DNS? (Definition of Domain Name System) – Lifewire
End-to-end delay External links:
[PDF]End-to-End Delay Analysis for Fixed Priority Scheduling …
[PDF]Cross-layer Analysis of the End-to-end Delay …
File Transfer Protocol External links:
What is File Transfer Protocol – FTP | Serv-U
File Transfer Protocol Application – Redirect
High availability External links:
[PDF]Automating High Availability (HA) Services with VMware …
IT High Availability Disaster Recovery Plans with Rackspace
Planning for High Availability with Configuration Manager
HyperText Transfer Protocol External links:
What is HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol)?
HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol Overview
Internet Control Message Protocol External links:
[PDF]Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Parameters
Internet Control Message Protocol – technet.microsoft.com
Internet Message Access Protocol External links:
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Capabilities …
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)
Internet Message Access Protocol, v.4 (IMAP4)
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Network administrator External links:
What is a Network Administrator vs. a System Administrator?
Network Engineer Vs. Network Administrator | Chron.com
Network Administrator, IT Salary – PayScale
Network management External links:
Network management in emergent high-tech business …
Video: Network Management Card (NMC) Password Reset …
How To: Configuring an APC Network Management Card …
Network tap External links:
Network Tap, Regenerator Taps, and Tap Aggregators | Ixia
Make a Passive Network Tap: 7 Steps – Instructables
Network Tap | eBay
Network tomography External links:
Network Tomography: Estimating Source-Destination …
Network Tomography | Network Monitoring | NetBeez
Patent US6839754 – Network tomography using closely …
Network traffic measurement External links:
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference – …
Post Office Protocol External links:
How POP3 Service Works: Post Office Protocol version 3 …
POP (Post Office Protocol) Basics in Email – Lifewire
What is Post Office Protocol (POP)? Webopedia Definition
Response time External links:
Bitcatcha – Speed Test Your Website Server (Response Time)
Round-trip delay time External links:
Round-trip delay time – YouTube
Secure Shell External links:
[PPT]Secure Shell – SSH
What is Secure Shell (SSH)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Secure Sockets Layer External links:
Secure Sockets Layer – InspIRCd
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) – HE FAQ
INET Error code 0x800c0019L. The Secure Sockets Layer …
Session Initiation Protocol External links:
SIP Trunking | Session Initiation Protocol | ShoreTel
Short Message Service External links:
Short Message Service (SMS) Message Format
What is SMS – Short Message Service? Webopedia Definition
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol External links:
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Relay – CDT Services
Some Facts About SMTP – Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
What is the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)?
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
What Is SNMP?: Simple Network Management Protocol …
Simple Network Management Protocol—SNMP—A Quick …
System monitor External links:
Start System Monitor (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
AMD System Monitor
Get System Monitor – Microsoft Store
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
Transmission Control Protocol – technet.microsoft.com
TCP/IP Transport Layer, Transmission Control Protocol, …
User Datagram Protocol External links:
Chapter 11. UDP: User Datagram Protocol – pcvr.nl
Viavi Solutions External links:
VIAVI Solutions – Home | Facebook
VIAV – Viavi Solutions Inc Stock quote – CNNMoney.com
Viavi Solutions Inc. – VIAV – Stock Price Today – Zacks
Vigilo NMS External links:
Vigilo NMS – Vigilo NMS
Convergence | Vigilo NMS
Web server External links:
How to Make a Raspberry Pi Web Server | DIY Hacking
Web Server Launch Page – Antelope Valley College
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Website monitoring External links:
Evidon | Website Monitoring Platform
Uptrends – Website Monitoring and Web Performance …
DownNotifier.com – free quality website monitoring