What is involved in IBM i System Administration
Find out what the related areas are that IBM i System Administration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IBM i System Administration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IBM i System Administration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IBM i System Administration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IBM i System Administration related domains to cover and 123 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IBM i System Administration , Apache web server, Auxiliary storage pool, Closed source, Control Program Facility, DOS/360 and successors, General availability release, IBM 4680 OS, IBM 4690 OS, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM AIX, IBM Academic Operating System, IBM Airline Control Program, IBM DB2, IBM DPPX, IBM PC DOS, IBM Power Systems, IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program, IBM System/36, IBM System/38, IBM System i, IBM Workplace OS, Linux on z Systems, Logical partition, Microsoft Windows, MySQL AB, OS/360 and successors, Operating system, Project Monterey, Project Trillian, Proprietary software, Single-level store, Software developer, Software license, Software release life cycle, Transaction Processing Facility, Virtual machine, WebSphere Application Server, Web application framework, Zend Technologies:
IBM i System Administration Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on IBM i System Administration adoptions and do something to it.
– What is the total cost related to deploying IBM i System Administration , including any consulting or professional services?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good IBM i System Administration project manager?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IBM i System Administration ?
Apache web server Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Apache web server failures and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which IBM i System Administration models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once IBM i System Administration is underway?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– To what extent does management recognize IBM i System Administration as a tool to increase the results?
Auxiliary storage pool Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Auxiliary storage pool tasks and reduce Auxiliary storage pool costs.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed IBM i System Administration opportunities costing us money?
– Have the types of risks that may impact IBM i System Administration been identified and analyzed?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of IBM i System Administration activities?
Closed source Critical Criteria:
Align Closed source engagements and stake your claim.
– What are the long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
– What about IBM i System Administration Analysis of results?
– What threat is IBM i System Administration addressing?
Control Program Facility Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Control Program Facility visions and define Control Program Facility competency-based leadership.
– Is IBM i System Administration dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Does our organization need more IBM i System Administration education?
– Are we Assessing IBM i System Administration and Risk?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Start DOS/360 and successors management and intervene in DOS/360 and successors processes and leadership.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IBM i System Administration strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic IBM i System Administration objectives?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom IBM i System Administration project?
General availability release Critical Criteria:
Prioritize General availability release issues and assess and formulate effective operational and General availability release strategies.
– Does IBM i System Administration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting IBM i System Administration with what users do day-to-day?
– Is a IBM i System Administration Team Work effort in place?
IBM 4680 OS Critical Criteria:
Refer to IBM 4680 OS engagements and explain and analyze the challenges of IBM 4680 OS.
– Think about the people you identified for your IBM i System Administration project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Is IBM i System Administration Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Consider IBM 4690 OS governance and ask questions.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the IBM i System Administration requirements in detail?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Test IBM 7090/94 IBSYS governance and look at it backwards.
– What are our best practices for minimizing IBM i System Administration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the IBM i System Administration project lifecycle?
– Think of your IBM i System Administration project. what are the main functions?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in IBM i System Administration ?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Experiment with IBM 8100 DPCX management and transcribe IBM 8100 DPCX as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IBM i System Administration into the services that we provide?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IBM i System Administration objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Do we have past IBM i System Administration Successes?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Adapt IBM AIX strategies and secure IBM AIX creativity.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a IBM i System Administration project?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a IBM i System Administration study?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Accelerate IBM Academic Operating System goals and handle a jump-start course to IBM Academic Operating System.
– How do your measurements capture actionable IBM i System Administration information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing IBM i System Administration ? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What vendors make products that address the IBM i System Administration needs?
IBM Airline Control Program Critical Criteria:
Analyze IBM Airline Control Program governance and check on ways to get started with IBM Airline Control Program.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IBM i System Administration ?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Powwow over IBM DB2 goals and finalize specific methods for IBM DB2 acceptance.
– Have all basic functions of IBM i System Administration been defined?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Review IBM DPPX projects and sort IBM DPPX activities.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent IBM i System Administration services/products?
– Can we do IBM i System Administration without complex (expensive) analysis?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze IBM PC DOS decisions and intervene in IBM PC DOS processes and leadership.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IBM i System Administration workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these IBM i System Administration processes?
– Does IBM i System Administration systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
IBM Power Systems Critical Criteria:
Value IBM Power Systems adoptions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of IBM Power Systems.
– Will IBM i System Administration have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective IBM i System Administration leader?
– How will you measure your IBM i System Administration effectiveness?
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program Critical Criteria:
Systematize IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program projects and do something to it.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IBM i System Administration strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IBM i System Administration process?
– What potential environmental factors impact the IBM i System Administration effort?
IBM System/36 Critical Criteria:
Focus on IBM System/36 visions and oversee implementation of IBM System/36.
– Among the IBM i System Administration product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
IBM System/38 Critical Criteria:
Transcribe IBM System/38 projects and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do we measure improved IBM i System Administration service perception, and satisfaction?
– How to deal with IBM i System Administration Changes?
IBM System i Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on IBM System i quality and raise human resource and employment practices for IBM System i.
– Which IBM i System Administration goals are the most important?
– How do we Lead with IBM i System Administration in Mind?
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
Infer IBM Workplace OS goals and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough IBM Workplace OS results.
– What are our needs in relation to IBM i System Administration skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How do we manage IBM i System Administration Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Are there IBM i System Administration Models?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Linux on z Systems planning and look at the big picture.
– What is our formula for success in IBM i System Administration ?
– What are specific IBM i System Administration Rules to follow?
Logical partition Critical Criteria:
Investigate Logical partition tactics and customize techniques for implementing Logical partition controls.
– what is the best design framework for IBM i System Administration organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How can you negotiate IBM i System Administration successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What is the purpose of IBM i System Administration in relation to the mission?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Learn from Microsoft Windows tasks and spearhead techniques for implementing Microsoft Windows.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for IBM i System Administration strengthening and reform actually originate?
MySQL AB Critical Criteria:
Apply MySQL AB projects and secure MySQL AB creativity.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your IBM i System Administration project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Do the IBM i System Administration decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Model after OS/360 and successors decisions and check on ways to get started with OS/360 and successors.
– Why should we adopt a IBM i System Administration framework?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Survey Operating system projects and describe the risks of Operating system sustainability.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IBM i System Administration process?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Project Monterey tasks and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Project Monterey information.
– Think about the functions involved in your IBM i System Administration project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Have you identified your IBM i System Administration key performance indicators?
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Reason over Project Trillian tasks and catalog Project Trillian activities.
– How would one define IBM i System Administration leadership?
– How do we maintain IBM i System Administration s Integrity?
– Are there recognized IBM i System Administration problems?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Deduce Proprietary software quality and probe Proprietary software strategic alliances.
Single-level store Critical Criteria:
Value Single-level store adoptions and research ways can we become the Single-level store company that would put us out of business.
– What are the Key enablers to make this IBM i System Administration move?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Analyze Software developer outcomes and look for lots of ideas.
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations IBM i System Administration values?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Software license management and oversee Software license management by competencies.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Software release life cycle results and probe Software release life cycle strategic alliances.
– What are the Essentials of Internal IBM i System Administration Management?
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Transaction Processing Facility failures and find out what it really means.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its IBM i System Administration processes?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Virtual machine engagements and budget for Virtual machine challenges.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (vm) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the aws cloud cannot provide?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Can we add value to the current IBM i System Administration decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– How do we keep improving IBM i System Administration ?
– How can we improve IBM i System Administration ?
WebSphere Application Server Critical Criteria:
Rank WebSphere Application Server decisions and look at the big picture.
– Consider your own IBM i System Administration project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Web application framework Critical Criteria:
Test Web application framework management and integrate design thinking in Web application framework innovation.
– Does IBM i System Administration analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How to Secure IBM i System Administration ?
Zend Technologies Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Zend Technologies governance and overcome Zend Technologies skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do we Identify specific IBM i System Administration investment and emerging trends?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IBM i System Administration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM i System Administration External links:
IBM i System Administration – OL19G – Tech Data Academy
Apache web server External links:
How to Install Apache Web Server on Windows — SitePoint
13 Apache Web Server Security and Hardening Tips – …
How to Install the Apache Web Server on a Windows PC
Auxiliary storage pool External links:
ASP abbreviation stands for Auxiliary Storage Pool
*ASP — Auxiliary storage pool
Closed source External links:
[PDF]Closed source scripted title objects – SoftLab-NSK
Control Program Facility External links:
CPF abbreviation stands for Control Program Facility
CPF – Control Program Facility | AcronymFinder
DOS/360 and successors External links:
DOS/360 and successors – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/DOS/360 and successors
IBM 4690 OS External links:
[PDF]mode and power management IBM 4690 OS V6.2 …
Open Object Rexx / Patches / #93 Support IBM 4690 OS FTP
IBM 4690 OS Programming Guide Version 4 Release 1 …
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS images, pictures, videos & interesting …
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge …
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS | IT History Society
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM 8100 DPCX – WOW.com
IBM 8100 DPCX – theinfolist.com
IBM 8100 DPCX | IT History Society
IBM AIX External links:
IBM AIX OS levels supported by XL Compilers – United States
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
IBM Airline Control Program External links:
Ibm Airline Control Program – TheInfoList.com
http://theinfolist.com/php/HTMLGet.php?FindGo=Ibm Airline Control Program
IBM Airline Control Program – WOW.com
IBM DB2 External links:
2 Creating and Configuring an IBM DB2 Database – Oracle
IBM Db2 12 for z/OS Product Documentation – United States
IBM Db2 Big SQL – Overview – United States
IBM Power Systems External links:
VAI Hardware | IBM Power Systems | Business Systems
COMMON – Your IBM Power Systems Users Group
AIX, UNIX for IBM Power Systems | IBM
IBM System/36 External links:
IBM System/36 Environment: Maximum Descriptions – …
MBMA Corporation | IBM System/36 Consulting
IBM System/36 Consulting. MBMA Corporation does IBM AS/400 Advanced/36 consulting for select clients. We have been doing …
http://IBM System 36 5360 s/36 : vintagecomputing – reddit.com
IBM System/38 External links:
IBM Archives: IBM System/38
IBM System/38 Utilities for IBM i – United States
IBM System/38 Reference Code 5381/5382 – Internet Archive
IBM System i External links:
Solutions for IBM System i | Pinnacle
IBM System i Security: Protecting i5/OS Data with …
IBM System i support: My IBM registration FAQs
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS – WOW.com
IBM Workplace OS: Latest News & Videos, Photos about …
IBM Workplace OS – topics.revolvy.com
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Workplace OS&item_type=topic
Logical partition External links:
What is logical partition (LPAR)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Microsoft Windows External links:
Apps | Microsoft Windows 10 | Official Site
MySQL AB External links:
MySQL AB and IBM Announce Open Source Database Support …
Allan Larsson, Co-Founder at MySQL AB – Relationship …
MySQL AB | Crunchbase
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – Local Business | Facebook
OS/360 and successors – 21pw.com
OS/360 and successors – Sussle
Operating system External links:
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
nCino Bank Operating System
Project Trillian External links:
Project Trillian – Revolvy
Proprietary software External links:
Disadvantages of Proprietary Software | Chron.com
Chapter 8 – Open Source and Proprietary Software – YouTube
Software developer External links:
Become a Software Developer In 12 Weeks | Coder Camps
Software Developer Job Description Examples | Indeed.com
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Software license External links:
Microsoft Software License Terms
Upgrading and renewing a software license – Symantec
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Software release life cycle External links:
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
Virtual machine External links:
Virtual Machine Scale Sets | Microsoft Azure
WebSphere Application Server External links:
IBM WebSphere Application Server – Overview – United …
WebSphere Application Server for Developers – IBM
WebSphere Application Server Version V8.5 Liberty Profile
Web application framework External links:
Amber – Crystal Web Application Framework
Zend Technologies External links:
Zend Technologies USA. – MapQuest
Zend Technologies | Headwaters MB