What is involved in Governance Risk and Compliance
Find out what the related areas are that Governance Risk and Compliance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Governance Risk and Compliance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Governance Risk and Compliance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Governance Risk and Compliance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Governance Risk and Compliance related domains to cover and 183 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Governance Risk and Compliance, Governance, risk management, and compliance, Chief compliance officer, Chief governance officer, Climate governance, Clinical governance, Collaborative governance, Conformity assessment, Corporate governance, Cultural governance, Data governance, Earth system governance, Ecclesiastical polity, Enterprise risk management, Environmental, social and corporate governance, Environmental governance, Global governance, Good governance, Governance in higher education, ISO 19600, Information Technology, Information governance, Information system, Local governance, Market governance mechanism, Multistakeholder governance model, Network governance, Ocean governance, Open-source governance, Political party governance, Private governance, Project governance, Records management, Regulatory compliance, Risk appetite, Risk management, SOA governance, Security sector governance and reform, Simulation governance, Soil governance, Sustainable Governance Indicators, Technology governance, Transnational governance, Website governance, World Governance Index:
Governance Risk and Compliance Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Governance Risk and Compliance planning and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Governance Risk and Compliance services.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Governance Risk and Compliance. How do we gain traction?
– Do those selected for the Governance Risk and Compliance team have a good general understanding of what Governance Risk and Compliance is all about?
– What are the disruptive Governance Risk and Compliance technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Governance, risk management, and compliance Critical Criteria:
Trace Governance, risk management, and compliance results and separate what are the business goals Governance, risk management, and compliance is aiming to achieve.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Governance Risk and Compliance information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Governance Risk and Compliance?
Chief compliance officer Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Chief compliance officer outcomes and point out Chief compliance officer tensions in leadership.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Governance Risk and Compliance? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What vendors make products that address the Governance Risk and Compliance needs?
– Are we Assessing Governance Risk and Compliance and Risk?
Chief governance officer Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Chief governance officer tasks and define Chief governance officer competency-based leadership.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Governance Risk and Compliance goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Governance Risk and Compliance project?
Climate governance Critical Criteria:
Read up on Climate governance strategies and pay attention to the small things.
– Do we monitor the Governance Risk and Compliance decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– When a Governance Risk and Compliance manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How will you know that the Governance Risk and Compliance project has been successful?
Clinical governance Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Clinical governance outcomes and give examples utilizing a core of simple Clinical governance skills.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Governance Risk and Compliance opportunities costing us money?
– Why should we adopt a Governance Risk and Compliance framework?
– What is our Governance Risk and Compliance Strategy?
Collaborative governance Critical Criteria:
Participate in Collaborative governance tasks and get the big picture.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Governance Risk and Compliance does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How is the value delivered by Governance Risk and Compliance being measured?
Conformity assessment Critical Criteria:
Survey Conformity assessment decisions and oversee Conformity assessment management by competencies.
– What role(s) do or should national/international standards and organizations that develop national/international standards play in critical infrastructure Cybersecurity conformity assessment?
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance analysis show the relationships among important Governance Risk and Compliance factors?
– In a project to restructure Governance Risk and Compliance outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the short and long-term Governance Risk and Compliance goals?
Corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Corporate governance governance and achieve a single Corporate governance view and bringing data together.
– How likely is the current Governance Risk and Compliance plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Is Governance Risk and Compliance Required?
Cultural governance Critical Criteria:
Sort Cultural governance visions and get going.
– Are there Governance Risk and Compliance problems defined?
– Is the scope of Governance Risk and Compliance defined?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Drive Data governance results and pay attention to the small things.
– How does your organization assess staff training needs and ensure job/role specific information governance training is provided to all staff?
– Who will be responsible, accountable, consulted and/or informed for decisions regarding key enterprise data processes?
– Kpi key performance indicators opportunities. are there opportunities to use the field/table to measure performance?
– Is the data already collected/maintained or is similar data that might meet the need commonly collected?
– Is there an ongoing data cleansing procedure to look for rot (redundant, obsolete, trivial content)?
– Is collecting this data element the most efficient way to influence practice policy, or research?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– How representative is twitter sentiment analysis relative to our customer base?
– How can the data element influence practice, policy, or research?
– Where is bad data design reflected in the real world?
– Is data subject to legislative oversight or mandates?
– Which data is sensitive, and which can be shared?
– Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
– What prevents enterprise system decay?
– Do you do hallway usability testing?
– What do other people ask about?
– Who determines access controls?
– Do you use source control?
– Other data stewards?
Earth system governance Critical Criteria:
Rank Earth system governance governance and correct better engagement with Earth system governance results.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Governance Risk and Compliance? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Governance Risk and Compliance activities?
Ecclesiastical polity Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Ecclesiastical polity projects and devise Ecclesiastical polity key steps.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Governance Risk and Compliance agendas for the next 3 years?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Governance Risk and Compliance moving forward?
– Do Governance Risk and Compliance rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Enterprise risk management Critical Criteria:
Administer Enterprise risk management visions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Has management conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the entirety of enterprise Risk Management at least once every three years or sooner if a major strategy or management change occurs, a program is added or deleted, changes in economic or political conditions exist, or changes in operations or methods of processing information have occurred?
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– Has management considered from external parties (e.g., customers, vendors and others doing business with the entity, external auditors, and regulators) important information on the functioning of an entitys enterprise Risk Management?
– Are findings of enterprise Risk Management deficiencies reported to the individual responsible for the function or activity involved, as well as to at least one level of management above that person?
– Do regular face-to-face meetings occur with risk champions or other employees from a range of functions and entity units with responsibility for aspects of enterprise Risk Management?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Governance Risk and Compliance is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is a technical solution for data loss prevention -i.e., systems designed to automatically monitor for data leakage -considered essential to enterprise risk management?
– Has management taken appropriate corrective actions related to reports from external sources for their implications for enterprise Risk Management?
– Think about the functions involved in your Governance Risk and Compliance project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Has management taken an occasional fresh look at focusing directly on enterprise Risk Management effectiveness?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise risk management?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise Risk Management?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity Risk Management integrated into enterprise risk management?
– Do policy and procedure manuals address managements enterprise Risk Management philosophy?
– How is the enterprise Risk Management model used to assess and respond to risk?
– When you need advice about enterprise Risk Management, whom do you call?
– What is our enterprise Risk Management strategy?
Environmental, social and corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Environmental, social and corporate governance adoptions and define what our big hairy audacious Environmental, social and corporate governance goal is.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Governance Risk and Compliance workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Governance Risk and Compliance?
Environmental governance Critical Criteria:
Devise Environmental governance visions and ask what if.
– How can you negotiate Governance Risk and Compliance successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Will Governance Risk and Compliance deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Global governance Critical Criteria:
Face Global governance decisions and maintain Global governance for success.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Governance Risk and Compliance objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Good governance Critical Criteria:
Discourse Good governance risks and mentor Good governance customer orientation.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Governance Risk and Compliance strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Does our organization need more Governance Risk and Compliance education?
Governance in higher education Critical Criteria:
Add value to Governance in higher education issues and do something to it.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Governance Risk and Compliance processes?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Governance Risk and Compliance values?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Governance Risk and Compliance study?
ISO 19600 Critical Criteria:
Chart ISO 19600 issues and mentor ISO 19600 customer orientation.
– Is Governance Risk and Compliance dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Information Technology visions and look in other fields.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Governance Risk and Compliance with what users do day-to-day?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information governance Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Information governance strategies and improve Information governance service perception.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Governance Risk and Compliance product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How is the chief executive or equivalent management board consulted and/or informed of information governance issues?
– What governance arrangements do you have in place to support the current and evolving information governance agenda?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– In relation to information governance, what are the key challenges or changes facing your organization?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Governance Risk and Compliance processes of our organization?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Coach on Information system results and acquire concise Information system education.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Governance Risk and Compliance process?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What is the source of the strategies for Governance Risk and Compliance strengthening and reform?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
Local governance Critical Criteria:
Chat re Local governance outcomes and get the big picture.
– Think about the people you identified for your Governance Risk and Compliance project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do we manage Governance Risk and Compliance Knowledge Management (KM)?
Market governance mechanism Critical Criteria:
Boost Market governance mechanism quality and reduce Market governance mechanism costs.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Governance Risk and Compliance ?
Multistakeholder governance model Critical Criteria:
Chart Multistakeholder governance model governance and spearhead techniques for implementing Multistakeholder governance model.
– How would one define Governance Risk and Compliance leadership?
Network governance Critical Criteria:
Guard Network governance governance and find the essential reading for Network governance researchers.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Governance Risk and Compliance experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Is there any existing Governance Risk and Compliance governance structure?
Ocean governance Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Ocean governance failures and prioritize challenges of Ocean governance.
– Which customers cant participate in our Governance Risk and Compliance domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Open-source governance Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Open-source governance projects and get going.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Governance Risk and Compliance?
– Who sets the Governance Risk and Compliance standards?
Political party governance Critical Criteria:
Merge Political party governance risks and know what your objective is.
– what is the best design framework for Governance Risk and Compliance organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
Private governance Critical Criteria:
Check Private governance risks and be persistent.
– Consider your own Governance Risk and Compliance project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Is Governance Risk and Compliance Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Project governance Critical Criteria:
Check Project governance tactics and stake your claim.
– What are the usability implications of Governance Risk and Compliance actions?
Records management Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Records management adoptions and get going.
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
– Who needs to know about Governance Risk and Compliance ?
Regulatory compliance Critical Criteria:
Focus on Regulatory compliance failures and improve Regulatory compliance service perception.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Regulatory compliance: Is the cloud vendor willing to undergo external audits and/or security certifications?
– What is our formula for success in Governance Risk and Compliance ?
– What will drive Governance Risk and Compliance change?
– What threat is Governance Risk and Compliance addressing?
– What is Regulatory Compliance ?
Risk appetite Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Risk appetite planning and attract Risk appetite skills.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Governance Risk and Compliance process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Governance Risk and Compliance process available?
– How do we revise the risk appetite statement so that we can link it to risk culture, roll it out effectively to the business units and bring it to life for them. How do we make it meaningful in connecting it with what they do day-to-day?
– Is there a clearly defined IT risk appetite that has been successfully implemented?
– Does the Governance Risk and Compliance task fit the clients priorities?
– Risk appetite: at what point does the risk become unacceptable?
Risk management Critical Criteria:
Deduce Risk management risks and report on the economics of relationships managing Risk management and constraints.
– What collaborative organizations or efforts has your company interacted with or become involved with to improve its Cybersecurity posture (such as NESCO, NESCOR, Fusion centers, Infragard, US-CERT, ICS-CERT, E-ISAC, SANS, HSIN, the Cross-Sector Cyber Security Working Group of the National Sector Partnership, etc.)?
– Are you aware of anyone in your organization receiving suspicious emails that include unsolicited attachments and/or requests for sensitive information?
– Is maintenance and repair of organizational assets performed and logged in a timely manner, with approved and controlled tools?
– By what percentage do you estimate your companys financial investment in ITRM activities will change in the next 12 months?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– Are we specifically expressing Cybersecurity requirements to our partners, suppliers, and other third parties?
– Is our Cybersecurity function appropriately organized, trained, equipped, staffed and funded?
– Do we leverage resources like the ESC2M2 or DOE Risk Management Process for Cybersecurity?
– Has the risk management plan been significantly changed since last years version?
– Financial risk -can the organization afford to undertake the project?
– Are records kept of successful Cybersecurity intrusions?
– What can we expect from project Risk Management plans?
– How do we implement planned risk mitigation?
– How do you report cyberattacks?
– How Do We Categorize Risk?
SOA governance Critical Criteria:
Distinguish SOA governance results and spearhead techniques for implementing SOA governance.
– Why are Governance Risk and Compliance skills important?
Security sector governance and reform Critical Criteria:
Read up on Security sector governance and reform management and devote time assessing Security sector governance and reform and its risk.
– How do we Identify specific Governance Risk and Compliance investment and emerging trends?
Simulation governance Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Simulation governance risks and drive action.
Soil governance Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Soil governance failures and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Soil governance is getting what it needs.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Governance Risk and Compliance models, tools and techniques are necessary?
Sustainable Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Sustainable Governance Indicators tasks and create a map for yourself.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Governance Risk and Compliance processes?
– What are the business goals Governance Risk and Compliance is aiming to achieve?
– How can we improve Governance Risk and Compliance?
Technology governance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Technology governance risks and define Technology governance competency-based leadership.
– Is a Governance Risk and Compliance Team Work effort in place?
Transnational governance Critical Criteria:
Investigate Transnational governance adoptions and look at the big picture.
– Have all basic functions of Governance Risk and Compliance been defined?
Website governance Critical Criteria:
Judge Website governance strategies and finalize the present value of growth of Website governance.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Governance Risk and Compliance move?
World Governance Index Critical Criteria:
Merge World Governance Index planning and perfect World Governance Index conflict management.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Governance Risk and Compliance strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Governance Risk and Compliance is underway?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Governance Risk and Compliance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Governance Risk and Compliance External links:
Governance Risk and Compliance Solutions – infor.com
Eukleia Training | Governance Risk and Compliance …
Governance, risk management, and compliance External links:
Career Path – Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance …
Chief compliance officer External links:
Chief Compliance Officer Support – Consumer Banking
General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer Daniel Follis, Jr.
Chief governance officer External links:
Chief governance officer, OSGE – KaziMpya
Chief Governance Officer, OSGE | Devex
Climate governance External links:
Experiments in climate governance – A systematic review …
It’s time for new climate governance – from below
Clinical governance External links:
Clinical Governance Essays – ManyEssays.com
Clinical governance (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PPT]Clinical Governance – University of Pittsburgh
Collaborative governance External links:
Collaborative Governance – Princeton University Press
Conformity assessment External links:
ABCAB | Accreditation Board for Conformity Assessment …
Conformity assessment | NIST
Corporate governance External links:
Corporate Governance | Old Dominion Freight Line
The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance …
Corporate Governance – PepsiCo
Cultural governance External links:
[PDF]Cultural Governance and Development in Vietnam
Cultural governance in contemporary China: popular …
What do we mean by Cultural Governance? – YouTube
Data governance External links:
7 Best Practices for Data Governance in Healthcare
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
[PDF]Data Governance Overview – Oklahoma – Welcome to …
Earth system governance External links:
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
Earth System Governance Project – Home | Facebook
Enterprise risk management External links:
GSA launches Enterprise Risk Management Playbook
[PDF]Guide to Enterprise Risk Management – Office of The …
Enterprise Risk Management – Carnegie Mellon University
Environmental governance External links:
Environmental Governance | A research collaboration …
Global governance External links:
[PDF]The Multinational Corporation and Global Governance
Good governance External links:
Governance Pro – Eight Elements of Good Governance
Governance in higher education External links:
[PDF]Shared Governance in Higher Education
ERIC – Overview: Governance in Higher Education- …
Organization and Governance in Higher Education (6th Edition) (ASHE Reader) [M. Christopher Brown II Edited by, Jason E. Lane, Eboni …
Information Technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Information governance External links:
Information Governance FAQs – AHIMA Home
Information Governance Initiative
Information Governance (IG) – AHIMA Home
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Buildings Information System (BIS) – New York City
Local governance External links:
Regional and Local Governance – Home
Network governance External links:
UTSCAP Network Governance – UTSW Medicine
Network governance: PwC
Ocean governance External links:
Ocean Governance for Sustainability – Challenges, …
Ocean Governance | U.S. Department of the Interior
Political party governance External links:
On Malawi political party governance | Malawi Nyasa …
Private governance External links:
Public & Private Governance Flashcards | Quizlet
Ed Stringham: Private Governance | Mises Institute
[PDF]Merging Public and Private Governance: How Disney’s …
Project governance External links:
[PDF]IT Project Governance Manual Version 1
Project Governance Plans: Execution and Oversight
400: IT PROJECT GOVERNANCE – OIT
Records management External links:
Records Management Policy | Policies & Procedures
National Archives Records Management Information Page
Title and Records Management | Loan Portfolio Servicing
Regulatory compliance External links:
What is regulatory compliance? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Chemical Regulatory Compliance – ChemADVISOR, Inc.
Legal and Regulatory Compliance | Dell
Risk appetite External links:
Risk Appetite – BrightTALK
Risk Appetite – Aon
Risk management External links:
Driver Risk Management Solutions | AlertDriving
Celgene Risk Management
SOA governance External links:
SOA governance technologies – Gartner IT Glossary
A case for SOA governance – ibm.com
SOA What? Why You Need an SOA Governance Framework | CIO
Security sector governance and reform External links:
Security Sector Governance and Reform: Guidelines for …
Simulation governance External links:
Simulation Governance Althea de Souza – ESRD
[PDF]Simulation governance: New technical …
Simulation Governance | Industries | UL
Sustainable Governance Indicators External links:
SGI – Sustainable Governance Indicators: News
Technology governance External links:
Information Technology Governance Committee – Just …
Website governance External links:
Website Governance | Smith College
World Governance Index External links:
World Governance Index and Pakistan’s Trade Deficit – …